42.00% ( 3 votes ) --
I know it's wrong, but still...
28.00% ( 2 votes ) --
Don't care
28.00% ( 2 votes ) --
Die you communist pigs!
0.00% ( 0 votes ) --
Piracy

Ki-tat Chung ( 12 ) · Group: Members · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 23, 2005 at 03:24 PM

spacer

This being a new site and forum, I'm curious as to everyone's stance towards piracy. So tell me, what do you think?

•  

FullAuto ( 1,042 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 23, 2005 at 04:09 PM

spacer

I have to admit, I support it fully. It seems to stimulate the markets rather than kill them off. Companies are screaming blue murder, but CD, DVD and game sales are all on the rise last time I checked (here in the UK anyway).

Sadly, aforesaid companies use it as an excuse to hike prices for the mediums, which is a pretty stupid tactic on their part. But nevertheless, sales are increasing, and so are their profits.

•  

Pete ( 701 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 23, 2005 at 04:47 PM

spacer

I went fot the don't care option. I know it's wrong, and I personally like owning the actual product because of the shiny packaging etc, but there's too much cash flowing to peope who've not put anything into the products.

Cost of a music CD at the volume they produce them is pennies. Let's say five pence and be generous. the highest priced CD is probably around £15. That's 300 times more than it cost to make, and usually the artists see the tiniest fraction of it.

Oh well...

Oh, and you're right FullAuto - read in my local paper today that despite forecasts of doom and gloom for retailers this Christmas, they're doing a roaring trade and taking in shiatloads of cash. Maybe the bad forecast was to convince shoppers that the streets would be quieter than usual and they'd have an easier time shopping without the usual crazy-eyed drooling masses who probably still don't know what they've gone into town to buy >_<

Aren't the Asgard supposedly technologically superior?

•  

FullAuto ( 1,042 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 23, 2005 at 04:50 PM

spacer

Royalties for artists are a lot lower than everyone thinks, aye. The majority (80-90%) of the profit goes to the distributor/publisher.

I don't pirate stuff myself, shit, I don't even download stuff from the net, but I think it's always nice to fuck over people getting fat off other's hard work.

•  

Ki-tat Chung ( 12 ) · Group: Members · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 24, 2005 at 01:14 AM

spacer

Quite true, after all it is nice to have something real and paid for in your hands. To be honest, I download heaps of stuff off the net, but so far it's mainly been Stargate episodes (all eight and a half seasons!), but I do intend on purchasing the box sets later. Which brings me to another point, if you do pirate/download thigs, do you end up going out and buying the real thing?

•  

FullAuto ( 1,042 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 24, 2005 at 01:19 AM

spacer

I tell a lie, actually. I've downloaded games from Underdogs before, but always ended up buying them for peanuts on eBay anyway, if they were any good. If I didn't like them, I deleted them. No point on having games I won't play on my computer.

Besides, what's the point in buying, say, Kung Fu Hustle if you don't get an inflatable axe with it? I mean, ok, it's a good film, but without the inflatable axe, you're nothing.

•  

Azrael Strife ( 66 ) · Group: Members · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 24, 2005 at 03:50 AM

spacer

Fully support it.
As Pete said, I'd buy them just for the shiny box and stuff, but sadly I'm only a student that doesn't work and has limited income, so buying originals is too much for me atm, if I worked it would be a different story; not that I would stop pirating, I probably wouldn't getting pirate games, as getting original games is ridiculously expensive and hard over here, but regional music cds I would, first because I like the boxes, second who doesn't like an original to a copy, and third to support the local musicians (nah, I don't care about the international ones)

Killing for peace is like screwing for virginity.

•  

Pete ( 701 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 24, 2005 at 09:57 AM

spacer

Ki-Tat - do you get all the bonus bits on the downloaded versions of SG-1 like the behind the scenes stuff? All of those from the later box sets are as good as the episodes themselves

Aren't the Asgard supposedly technologically superior?

•  

Ki-tat Chung ( 12 ) · Group: Members · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 24, 2005 at 11:12 AM

spacer

nah, but i get the feeling i can download them though ;P
well anyways, once i get a job, i'll probably go out and buy the box sets anyway. The video quality can vary from download to download.

•  

silvertongedevil ( 333 ) · Group: Contributors · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 24, 2005 at 03:47 PM

spacer

I don't think it's an issue you could get an acurate poll on, the subject is too complicated. reading the last posts it seems obvious most people think alike anyway. If you create art then you should be rewarded for it but when people like Catherine Zeta-Jones can boast 6 houses of her own (and I don't mean just houses) then I have to wonder why I would want to put my hand into my pocket and spend hard earned on someone who already has so much they don't know how to spend it.

More options and I'll vote

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

•  

cyke ( 208 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 24, 2005 at 06:06 PM

spacer

I've found my own experience with piracy means i buy more original goods. Eg i download an artist i dont know, and if i like it I buy the original cd or follow up cds.

I dont think i've ever stopped myself from buying a game/cd etc that i REALLY wanted just because i thought i could likely download it for free.

Downloading games can be hit and miss anyway, nothing beats downloading something over 4 days and then finding out its in polish language, argh!

And there are a lot of tv shows i download, that i cannot see otherwise whatsoever, that i rave about to my mates, thereby promoting them.

"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - George S. Patton

•  

Ki-tat Chung ( 12 ) · Group: Members · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 25, 2005 at 10:50 AM

spacer

silvertongedevil: I don't think it's an issue you could get an acurate poll on, the subject is too complicated. reading the last posts it seems obvious most people think alike anyway. If you create art then you should be rewarded for it but when people like Catherine Zeta-Jones can boast 6 houses of her own (and I don't mean just houses) then I have to wonder why I would want to put my hand into my pocket and spend hard earned on someone who already has so much they don't know how to spend it.

More options and I'll vote

Well hey, its not like its a poll of the entire internet, just on this community. I guess it just means that we're all somewhat like minded =)

As for options, what kind are you talking about? I think i sorta covered all bases, albeit quite generally.

•  

silvertongedevil ( 333 ) · Group: Contributors · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 26, 2005 at 06:37 PM

spacer

How about, "I dissagree with it but I don't mind my mate knocking out versions of the latest Deep Purple album" or "I don't mind copying stuff on my VHS from the TV but I wouldn't buy the latest pirate copy of King Kong." If you are bothering with a poll I would think it's advantageous to have an accurate one.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

•  

FullAuto ( 1,042 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 26, 2005 at 06:39 PM

spacer

Well, because the first option you gave comes under 'Don't Care' and the second isn't piracy, as long as it's for your personal use only, I think.

•  

Azrael Strife ( 66 ) · Group: Members · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 28, 2005 at 12:11 AM

spacer

Then downloading a copy of, say, Star Wars Episode III isn't piracy either, as I want it for my personal use, nothing more

Killing for peace is like screwing for virginity.

•  

Previous Topic · Topic Index · Next Topic Pages ( 1 of 2 ): 1 · 2

bullet Active Viewers

There are 0 member(s) and 1 guest(s) browsing ( details )

none

Who's Online

95 Guests

View Details

Forum Statistics

7903 Members
451 Topics
2647 Posts

Most Online: 583
Just Joined: Victorbymn

Site Statistics

64 Articles