Forums
Shop
Contact
South Park
spacer
Home bullet Forums bullet Other Stuff bullet DVDs bullet Firefly
Print View · Subscribe Pages: none
Firefly

FullAuto ( 1,042 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: September 5, 2006 at 09:25 PM

spacer

Just picked up this TV series and the film, Serenity, quite cheap. I have to say, it's rather good, a very unique gem from the Yanks, who seem to produce huge torrents of crap and cancel shows like this one (Futurasma, anyone?).

I don't watch TV, so the only time I get to see stuff like this is on DVD, and it joins the few series I have bought (Spaced, Futurama, League of Gentlemen) and has a place of honour on my shelf.

The mix of Western and sci-fi doesn't always work, but it's still rather excellent, and it has a lot of laughs for such serious material. Top stuff.

•  

Slaughter ( 66 ) · Group: Members · Rank: spacer · Posted On: September 6, 2006 at 10:11 AM

spacer

Yeah, it is a fine series indeed! I had little faith in the combination as I started watching, but it worked very well. A shame the show was cancelled.

Greetings from Olav (Staff at StrategyCore.co.uk)

•  

FullAuto ( 1,042 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: September 6, 2006 at 03:57 PM

spacer

I think it's one of those things that sound shit in synopsis. So no matter how good it actually is, people who read reviews or who see the box while browsing are going to be put off and not even give it a chance.

Which is a bit tragic, as it's an excellent show, easily one of the best sci-fi series ever.

•  

Pete ( 701 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: September 6, 2006 at 07:21 PM

spacer

I've seen the film, but not the series yet as I've just not gotten around to it.

I enjoyed the extras on the film's DVD - especially the whole atmosphere with the film crew going "This never happens! How is this happening?!" with regards to resurrecting a cancelled show in movie format

Aren't the Asgard supposedly technologically superior?

•  

Slaughter ( 66 ) · Group: Members · Rank: spacer · Posted On: September 6, 2006 at 07:59 PM

spacer

I was a little disappointed with the movie after seeing the show, so you should really get hold of the series Pete!

@FA: I agree. Sci-fi and western sounds as bad as sweet & sour to me (and I REALLY HATE sweet & sour).

Greetings from Olav (Staff at StrategyCore.co.uk)

•  

FullAuto ( 1,042 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: September 6, 2006 at 09:09 PM

spacer

The film suffers for a couple of reasons. It had to stand alone and make sense to people who hadn't seen the TV series, and it was basically an episode of the show stretched to fit film formula, so it had to include more action etc etc.

Still a good flick, though. And the series is even better.

•  

bullet Active Viewers

There are 0 member(s) and 1 guest(s) browsing ( details )

none

Who's Online

87 Guests

View Details

Forum Statistics

7903 Members
451 Topics
2647 Posts

Most Online: 583
Just Joined: Victorbymn

Site Statistics

64 Articles