The Last Outpost Forums ( http://www.thelastoutpost.co.uk/forums/ )Globe Trotting

Source: http://www.thelastoutpost.co.uk/forums/index.php?gettopic=357

Ivory | May 12, 2006 at 11:27 AM

ive been to france, and belgium in the last week....and i must say i found there roads terrible but everyone i met was lovely and most spoke much better engliah than any french i could ever hope to learn!

so basically, i thought we should have a place where people can flash up where they been, wheres good and where to avoid.

so......

FullAuto | May 12, 2006 at 12:21 PM

Paris is good. Nice food, I could spend about two weeks in the Louvre alone, never mind the rest of the city.

From what I remember of Norway, it was quite nice, but I was very drunk at the time, and I proceeded to get drunker there.

Bonn, in Germany, was also a bit of a winner.

Pete | May 13, 2006 at 08:01 AM

Riga (in Latvia don'tchaknow) was ace. Lots of history though as I was there on a stag weekend I fear some of us may have been ill on some of their history...

Definitely recommend having a look when sober though. It's one of these places that's been invaded by everyone at some point or other a bit like England, but in Riga's case it's all within the past 200 years or so, so you end up with Eastern European styles next to very Stalin-era imposing concrete buldings next to Swiss chalets and all sorts of fun stuff like that - most eccentric, if eccentric is the right word. Certainly feels it.

Accounting Troll | May 13, 2006 at 07:27 PM

I didn't see Paris at its best as the public transport system had been hit by industrial action when I went. Don't bother with the Eiffel Tower as it's even more tacky than the one at Blackpool and there's only so long you can pretend to be interested in what is, in fact, a big pile of scaffalding in the middle of the city.

If you like historic European towns, try Denmark. The locals are friendly and most of them speak English. They don't even beat you up when they get drunk or when there's a football match on

Place to avoid this summer: Germany because they're going to be hosting the World Cup, which means getting to host lots of England fans

Ivory | May 16, 2006 at 04:29 PM

i have to admit all the 'paris is the most romantic city in teh world' rubbish doesnt do anyhting for me. and unless you have the stomach for going up the tower to see the view- *shrug*

never been to germany, or anywhere much abroad.

QUESTION- anyone been on safari anywhere?? do tell!

Accounting Troll | May 16, 2006 at 09:56 PM

Does spending three years living in Pontypridd count?

Pete | May 19, 2006 at 07:19 AM

Alas no, it's not technically globe trotting - for you anyway

Accounting Troll | May 19, 2006 at 07:38 AM

But you get to see plenty of wild animals, especially on a saturday night.

Ivory | May 23, 2006 at 06:10 PM

i get to see plenty of them where i live, it does not mean im globe trotting, and it is NOt an advantage!

TopSource: http://www.thelastoutpost.co.uk/forums/index.php?gettopic=357