The Last Outpost Forums ( http://www.thelastoutpost.co.uk/forums/ )Pet Hates

Source: http://www.thelastoutpost.co.uk/forums/index.php?gettopic=275

silvertongedevil | February 14, 2006 at 09:34 AM

I have just read my emails as I do every morning and I'm amazed how many people can't use punctuation and capital letters. What the hell is wrong with people? I know it's habit from using mobile phones but when some unknown designer developes a perfectly good keyboard with a 'shift' key you would think people would have the strength to press it occasionally.

It got me thinking - it's just a small thing but it causes me to delete the mail as 'junk', and I wondered what 'spikes' other people in a small way.

What are your pet hates? - just the small things, nothing too serious.

FullAuto | February 14, 2006 at 10:29 AM

People whose spelling, punctuation and grammar is absolutely atrocious. If you cannot spell or put a sentence together, you should not be allowed on the internet. I swear to God, people should have to get a keyboard licence.

I don't want perfection, but some attempt to get it right would be nice. And about fifty other pet hates.

Lady_Castlemaine | February 15, 2006 at 10:16 AM

Yes, I agree with the punctuation, spelling etc. but what really gets my goat when I'm driving, is people driving in the opposite direction who 'flash' you when you're overtaking and there's miles of room, what do they think... that it'll stop me doing it? .... I don't think so, it just makes me pull in later!! Another thing ... 'pipping' what's that about then? Ok when you are trying to attract someones attention but it gets used as a finger wagging exercise, if everyone that flashes or pips examined their own driving ..

silvertongedevil | February 15, 2006 at 12:10 PM

Mobile phones in pubs - I'd like to make those people eat the damn things. People who drop everything inclusing the conversation you were just having to answer their sodding phone. People driving whilst on the phone - lets amend this and say MOBILE PHONES - I HATE THEM!

Ivory | February 15, 2006 at 06:00 PM

people who pick their noses and then eat it EWWWWW there is NO NEED for it! really there isnt

wherre do i go to apply for my license fa?

silvertongedevil | February 15, 2006 at 06:14 PM

And people who pick their nose on the phone - did I mention I hate mobile phones?

Ivory | February 16, 2006 at 04:13 PM

i hate peopel who cough down the phone- theres no need TURN YOUR HEAD AWAY! grrrr

Lady_Castlemaine | February 16, 2006 at 04:26 PM

People who 'hock n spit' Not a favourite of mine and blow their noses into hankies then look - what do they think they'll find???? NO DON'T TELL ME PLEEEZE!!!

Ivory | February 17, 2006 at 05:53 PM

look, if you got a bit of a cold you HAVE to check the hankie, how will you know if its still yellow/green or if your on the mend!! but definatly not in public

Accounting Troll | February 17, 2006 at 06:40 PM

Is coughing over the phone okay if you're phoning in sick because your team are playing at home?

One thing that drives me up the wall is when newspapers treat a minor bit of gossip about some actor or footballer as serious news and give it priority over news that actually is serious.

And similarly, the fashion for celebrities to give their kids bizarre names. What do they think is going to happen when the poor kid goes to school?

FullAuto | February 17, 2006 at 06:42 PM

If it's anything like what happened to Richard Head at my school, it'll be torture.

silvertongedevil | February 17, 2006 at 08:08 PM

FullAuto: If it's anything like what happened to Richard Head at my school, it'll be torture.

Yeah, we had a Mike Hunt.

cyke | February 18, 2006 at 12:40 PM

I hate Death.

Ivory | February 20, 2006 at 12:47 PM

death of myself....not so worrying. Death of thsoe i love? i mean WTF is that about!

Accounting Troll | March 14, 2006 at 08:33 PM

The inept security measures that surround us these days.

I was in Monmouth the other day, so I thought I would take the opportunity to visit the ruins of the castle. There is a car park and a Ministry of Defence building next to the castle, and I saw the following sign at the car park:

"If you fail to pay and display your car will be deemed a security risk"

Presumably when Al Qaeda plants a car bomb, they never think to pay the car parking charges...

Lady_Castlemaine | March 14, 2006 at 08:42 PM

It'a a wonder they don't break into your car and pinch the coins in the 'handy coin holder' to prevent a breech of security by paying for a ticket on your behalf!!

Accounting Troll | March 14, 2006 at 10:00 PM

Considering how British soldiers are badly paid and equipped, I suspect they wouldn't leave any change.

Another thing that annoys me is all the roadworks you get in March. We're nearing the end of the financial year, so councils are getting desperate to spend all the money in their budget on unnecessary roadworks and redecorations of public buildings.

FullAuto | March 15, 2006 at 07:06 AM

AT, British troops are some of the best paid and equipped in the entire world.

silvertongedevil | March 15, 2006 at 12:11 PM

FullAuto:

If they are the best equiped how come their radios didn't work when they arrived in Iraq? The Yanks had to lend them radios - how embarrasing. It's not the first time either, they do not learn from history. In WWII Operation Market the British radios wouldn't work and it cost many lives.

As to their pay, it's about average from what I have been told.

Accounting Troll | March 15, 2006 at 12:20 PM

Their pay is considereably less than average once you allow for the fact that they often end up buying equipment out of their own money because the official issue equipment is so rubbish.

During the recent invasion of Iraq, British soldiers 'liberated' a warehouse full of Iraqi army desert boots because of the poor quality of British army desert boots.

Another thing that annoys me is that both of Britain's gritting lorries go in for a service whenever we have snow. It's amazing how a couple of inches of snow will bring the country to a standstill...

silvertongedevil | March 15, 2006 at 12:28 PM

I think we have to change your name to Angry Troll - and where's your avitar? With that name there must be something good for you.

It was a serving infantry man that said the wages were average so that's all I have to go on. As for the country coming to a halt in snow there are two reasons for that. One is the school run, hoards of people who only drive a couple of miles to take their spawn to find out how to be insolent.
Two is the fact that we have so little snow and too many stupid people that drive in conditions that they have no experience of.
Mmm, pet hates thread......

I really hate people who drive everywhere without using indicators - particularly on round-abouts.

FullAuto | March 15, 2006 at 12:36 PM

I didn't say THE best, I said some of the best. The British Army is currently armed and equipped better than most forces in the entire world. It's pretty silly to point out one problem with one piece of kit and say "Look, they're shit."

If you want embarrassing, look at troops who blow the holy fuck out of cars at roadblocks for no reason at all due to shit training and poor leadership...oh no, wait, that's the Americans. Of course, that's not actually embarrassing for them, because the only good Iraqi is a fucking dead one.

And of course soldiers nicked Iraqi boots, because A) They've been designed solely with the desert environment in mind, unlike British Army kit, which has to be able to cope with a massive variety of terrain and B) Soldiers will nick anything.

Lady_Castlemaine | March 15, 2006 at 12:43 PM

'NOW THEN, CALM DOWN, CALM DOWN R FA AN STD AN AT ...liycke' this is supposed to be a friendly site for friendly, intelligent discourse !! Play nicely and NO FIGHTING !!! (shame the yanks don't listen to that advice!) _ No I'm not getting dragged into that argument - sorry discusssion/issue/challenge/other p.c. description for the same word!!

Ivory | March 15, 2006 at 06:44 PM

i dont know, i quite like the passion with which you guys converse!!! -ven if th topic is totally borring!

i HATE PEOPEL WHO CANT DRIVE PROPERLY! i mean ffs, indicate! give way when it tells you to, and dont over take me then hit a country lane and drive UNDER the bloody speed limit. if you cant drive DONT!

Accounting Troll | March 15, 2006 at 07:02 PM

Most euipment used by the British Army was only designed for operations in Northern Europe (eg fighting off a Soviet invasion of Western Germany or invading France). The government is too tight to develop equipment that works in the deserts of the Middle East.

There was a sotry in the Daily Mail today that annoyed me. An unemployed man who shares his house with his wife, his girlfriend and most of his 14 children wants the local council to get him a bigger house because of the overcrowding.

He already lives in the biggest house his council has, but he blames them for his predicament. Are we to take it that the members of Derby council keep visiting his house and making love to his wife and girlfriend then?

His family also gets around £25,000 pa in benefits (tax free) and he still went on how he hates this country now because the council won't gie him a bigger house.

I am very sympathetic to anybody who has to live on benefits in this country, partly because the government makes claiming benefits to be as degrading as possible, but idiots like this really annoy me. He leads a totally irresponsible life, shucking out dozens of kids he can't afford to look after (number 15 is on the way and his dog is also pregnant) and then he thinks the state has an obligation to sort out the mess he causes.

Let's just say that if I was the head of his local council, I would solve the issue by castrating him and put all his children up for adoption. Or a child brothel if it works out cheaper for the Council

Ivory | March 15, 2006 at 07:46 PM

peopel who want something...or in this case EVERYTING for nothing. when those actually workign there bums off get shat on from a great hight!

FullAuto | March 15, 2006 at 07:55 PM

"It's the 21st century, you can't MAKE me use contraception."

It's a wonder he doesn't fall in and disappear when he's shagging her...

Ivory | March 15, 2006 at 08:00 PM

maybe he ties an ahancor line round the girlfriend?

Accounting Troll | March 15, 2006 at 08:40 PM

He would still need his wife on hand to haul him out before he suffocates.

In Victorian times, his entire family would have been shoved in a workhouse. Today, his council will probably knock several terraced houses into one and increase council tax for everybody else in Derby.

Not all progress has been for the better.

silvertongedevil | March 16, 2006 at 09:27 PM

Accounting Troll:

I think in issues like this it will become much worse before it improves. We make it so easy for them - in cases like this his children will all grow up like him and that multiply once again. What a sorry country this is.

FullAuto | March 16, 2006 at 10:25 PM

Yes, the country is in a terrible state. Our country is in such a bad state, sat in the top 10% of the richest countires in the entire WORLD. Out of more than 200 or so, here we sit. If you think this country is in a sorry state, try some of the others. Free of famine and disease epidemics, with running water and electricity cheaply and easily available, cheap public transport, low crime rates, lowering pollution levels, an infant mortality rate at about 0.5%, an average life expectancy of 80 years, a literacy rate of 99%, a democratic government, extensive human rights, free health care, benefits and education.

We should all emigrate. None of that is worth staying for.

silvertongedevil | March 17, 2006 at 09:30 AM

Too right - that's why I'm learning French at the moment because I notice you didn't state 'warm weather' anywhere there.

Pete | March 17, 2006 at 09:34 AM

You sure that literacy rate of 99% is accurate FA? I think they must be basing that on whether people can spell their first names or not, because 99% seems rather high.

FullAuto | March 17, 2006 at 10:10 AM

'Literacy' basically means age 15 or over and has completed five or more years of schooling. So technically it includes a lot more than just beingable to read and write, but those are some of the basics of education.

Well, 1% of 60 million people is 600,000 people. So, not a lot, really, but quite a few in individual terms.

And I happen to think we get some lovely summers. Ok, yes, it rains a lot, but I happen to quitel ike water, on the whole.

Lady_Castlemaine | March 17, 2006 at 11:14 AM

I like water too, with hops, yeast, sugar etc.. I'm lucky enough that I not only attended school but also learned how to read & write and therefore I can choose which beer I drink 'cos I can read the labels. I also was advised not to believe statistics, you can make them say whatever you like and although I don't like to cast aspersions, I think that some of the published figures may not be totally accurate.

Pete | March 17, 2006 at 11:22 AM

I'm with Lady_Castlemaine in terms of water, though in my case it's more alcopops as all beer tastes foul - that I've tried anyway!

Aye, so we're agreed that literacy doesn't mean much any more then

FullAuto | March 17, 2006 at 11:27 AM

Nevertheless, I think we can all agree that thansk to FREE education the VAST MAJORITY of the population is literate and numerate.

It's like pulling teeth.

silvertongedevil | March 17, 2006 at 12:24 PM

Here's a couple of facts for you. The OECD have done a survey on literacy and found that "Britain has the fourth highest level of unemployment amongst people with the lowest levels of basic reading skills" and "The report found a wide variation in literacy levels even among technologically advanced countries, with the United Kingdom ranking in the lower half of the 20-nation survey".
As for cheap water and electricty that is about to change with Anglia Water having hosepipe bans and the cost of electricity set to rise 200% in the next three years.

The cheap public transport is hardly ever used because it's not safe and I don't even want to get started on crime.

Free health care is fine as long as you don't need dental care and you haven't got a problem with your kidneys - 'cos they'll rip the wrong one out.

But apart from that I agree with you. Oh except for the human rights thing as the government have just announced that they are not going to stop forced marriages, or stop invading other countries and torturing their people. But apart from that I agree.
Oh did I mention that apart from the democratic government thing - it can't be democratic when laws are passed against the wishes of the majority of the country, and several have been in the last few years.

Errr.... yep, apart from that I agree.

Pete | March 17, 2006 at 12:27 PM

A, contradictory survey results Apart from the differing 'evidence' we're all agreed though right?

silvertongedevil | March 17, 2006 at 12:28 PM

Oh yeah, I agree with everything. But hey I'm crazy so don't listen to anything I say.

Lady_Castlemaine | March 17, 2006 at 12:46 PM

silvertongedevil: Oh yeah, I agree with everything. But hey I'm crazy so don't listen to anything I say.

Ay, did someone say something?? I can hear voices again mummy!

Accounting Troll | March 17, 2006 at 01:43 PM

Okay, try finding something that hasn't gone downhil since Labour came to power.

I also recall they fought the 1997 election campaign on the promise of ending corruption and sleaze in politics. That lasted as long as their ethical foreign policy...

FullAuto | March 17, 2006 at 01:56 PM

The OECD have done a survey on literacy and found that "Britain has the fourth highest level of unemployment amongst people with the lowest levels of basic reading skills" and "The report found a wide variation in literacy levels even among technologically advanced countries, with the United Kingdom ranking in the lower half of the 20-nation survey".

Wow. 20 nations, out of about 200. That's representative. I don't think.

As for cheap water and electricty that is about to change with Anglia Water having hosepipe bans and the cost of electricity set to rise 200% in the next three years.

Does Anglia Water supply water to the whole of the UK? Does it have a monopoly on the business? No? Then it can't be used as a generalisation to cover the whole country.

As for rising power prices, well, the wholesale cost of producing electricity is rising sharply (100% last year) because the whole infrastructure is foused on non-renewable energy sources which are becoming rarer. Hence, non-renewable, more expensive.

The cheap public transport is hardly ever used because it's not safe and I don't even want to get started on crime.

Let's see. Safe as in accidents? 64.7% of road accidents leading to injury or fatality? Private car owners. Not public transport. Or perhaps you meant crime occurring on public transport? In which case, even paranoid crime watchdogs acknowledge that crime on public transport is rare, though PERCEPTION differs significantly. But perception isn't reality.

Crime levels in the UK. Fell 7% in 2004/5 according to the BCS. Vioent crime has fallen 43% since 1995. Vehicle crime and burglary? Fuck no, down by 57%. Chance of being victim to a crime? Fallen 16%, which means six million less victims. However, perception of crime in local areas has remained steady, one in six currently think there's a high level of disorder in their area. Again, perception, not reality.

Free health care is fine as long as you don't need dental care and you haven't got a problem with your kidneys - 'cos they'll rip the wrong one out.

It's free. How many people were treated last year? How many of those went wrong? Anybody know? No? Didn't think so.

But apart from that I agree with you. Oh except for the human rights thing as the government have just announced that they are not going to stop forced marriages, or stop invading other countries and torturing their people. But apart from that I agree.

There's no such thing as 'forced' marriages. The term is 'arranged', and they are part of a religion or culture. Just because it's not YOUR religion or culture doesn't mean it's wrong, or evil, believe it or not. We live in a society were freedom is valued and intrinsic. That means, people are free to get married however they want, and that means that you, or a government elected by you, CANNOT prevent others from marrying how they wish.

As for invading other countries, surely you know that the human rights laws we have are domestic? As in, they only apply to citizens of this country? The British Empire has passed, and we no longer seek to impose our laws upon other countries through force of arms, because this is ethnocentrism of the highest order. International goings-on have little to do with national laws. You have freedom of speech, of expression, the right to vote, and so on and so forth, a list as long as your arm.

Oh did I mention that apart from the democratic government thing - it can't be democratic when laws are passed against the wishes of the majority of the country, and several have been in the last few years.

If you don't know how the democratic process works, I recommend you find out about it (good link here: http://en.wikip...ctoral_system). It CAN be and IS democratic, because those governments were elected by a democratic process known as plurality voting. The way it works in this country means you don't need a majority, you merely need a plurality. That's a type of democracy.

My argument is not that the Labour government is good. IT's not. They're a bunch of tossers. My argument is that the country is in good shape (4th biggest economy in the world, 6th in PPP). Yes, we are having problems. Show me a country that isn't! But these problems are NOT as world-shakingly important as the media would like us to panickingly believe. We do have shit to take care of, the war in Iraq IS wrong (though it may get us cheap oil, meaning power prices will lower), the welfare state does need fixing up, but we're among the richest fucking countries in the ENTIRE WORLD. Our population of 60 million people is easily in the top 10% of the richest people living today, and if you don't believe it, go on a fucking tour of Africa or Asia.

silvertongedevil | March 17, 2006 at 06:27 PM

Wow, that caught a nerve.

I know how politics work - I studied it for a while until I realised that only anarchy can be achieved fully.

As for Africa - I couldn't give a monkeys about it - It's one big money sponge and it always will be.

Carrying a torch for this country comes over as complacent - complacency is an anathema for change and improvement and to simply compare what is here now with other countries that never got things right in the first place doesn’t wash with me.

This is where I live at the moment and it’s here where my concern is.

FullAuto | March 17, 2006 at 06:43 PM

I know how politics work - I studied it for a while until I realised that only anarchy can be achieved fully.

Well, perhaps you should study it some more? If you've studied politics, then you know the plurality voting system is a system of democracy, so why then claim the results of said elections were not democratic?

As for Africa - I couldn't give a monkeys about it - It's one big money sponge and it always will be.

Fantastic attitude to more than a billion people living in conditions you cannot imagine.

Carrying a torch for this country comes over as complacent - complacency is an anathema for change and improvement and to simply compare what is here now with other countries that never got things right in the first place doesn’t wash with me.

I don't how it 'comes over' or 'doesn't wash'. This country is far from perfect, but it's in a better state than most of the rest of the world. You cannot change anything unless you know how it really is to begin with. You certainly can't hope to change a thing if you rely upon your own perceptions, because perceptions are not right or wrong, they're based upon your own preference. You need to look at things as objectively as possible. Not from a solid bastion of one's own culture and all the inherent prejudices that comes with.

Your value judgement about other countries 'that never got things right' blatantly shows bias. Which country HAS got things right? Surely not this one, or you wouldn't be saying it was in a 'sorry state'.

So which country are you using as your basis of comparison? Where is this paragon of nationhood?

Accounting Troll | March 17, 2006 at 07:29 PM

Utility bills are increasing at a rate greater than inflation where I live as well. Electricity and gas are going up because North Sea production is declining, although curiously water is going up as well. Welsh Water will increase the avergae household bill to £352 p/a by 2009, which is expensive by English standards, and surprising considering how Wales has no water shortages.

Don't put too much faith in the official crime figures. Blair has been caught fiddling the figures before, such as with the NHS waiting lists. Also, public confidence in the police is so low that people just don't bother reporting crimes any more. If your car gets broken into, would you even bother wasting your time telling the police unless you needed a crime number for the insurance claim?

Most muggings and thefts are to feed the drug habit of the thief. Britain has a massive drugs problem that the government refuses to acknowledge. Teenages in places like the Welsh Valleys know that they have little realistic chance of ever getting a job and getting on in the world, so they just give up and drift into drug addiction and end up commiting crimes to feed their addiction.

As for public transport, most of the railway lines in Wales were closed down back in the 1960s, and bus services are infrequent away from the M4 corridoor. The privatisation of public transport has meant that public transport only exists in areas where it is highly profitable - ie big towns. Those of us who live in small towns and villages have no choice but to use the car, no matter how much the government and police persecute motorists.

To be fair to the police, there are still some crimes they investigate. If you defend yourself against a mugger or burglar, you can expect no mercy from the police and courts for your despicable actions.

And woebetide anybody whom the PC lobby accuse of doing something marginally racist. In these cases, the burden of proof is very much on the defendant. The REALLY infuriating thing is that the thought police are totally indifferent to the real racists, such as Nick Griffin and the rest of his BNP cronies as well as the radical Islamic clerics who urge the murder of anybody who doesn't share their sick racist and misogynistic world-view.

FullAuto | March 17, 2006 at 07:40 PM

Don't put too much faith in the official crime figures

The figures there are from the BCS, not official police figures. The two often disagree.

As for racism: If you have freedom of speech, as we're meant to, then anyone is allowed to say pretty much anything, and anyone may then contradict them, saying whatever they like. Whether it's racist or not. However, if we're going to prosecute or throw people to the Yanks for inciting racist hatred, then both everyone should get the boot equally.

Somehow, I don't think many people will miss a bunch of fascists like the fucking BNP.

silvertongedevil | March 17, 2006 at 07:45 PM

I think you misinterpreted what I was getting at in the initial comment but here goes:

You said it yourself, plurality voting system 'is a type of democracy'. In real terms fist past the post as it is sometimes called has many flaws for countries that wish to have a true democracy. When votes are cast in single-member districts which is usually the case, only one member of the legislature is elected to represent that area and the overall winner is determined by who receives the most votes, i.e. the plurality of the vote.

On the other hand PR is a much more representative way of expressing a nations feelings simply because legislators are elected in multimember districts instead of single-member districts, and the number of seats that a party wins in an election is proportional to the amount of its support among voters. That is why in Western Europe, 21 of 28 countries use this system though Switzerland have structured their system slightly different.

to the Africa question, all I can say is go there. They have had handouts for so long they expect it. British troops are stationed in compounds where children stand with their hands through the wire shouting 'give - give' and when the troops don't give they throw rocks or even fire small arms into the camps.
It's a lawless hell hole of a place where people sit on their arses all day and wait for the rest of the world to deliver their food and when they don't they go and kill someone and take what little they had. It's a place where adults have shit loads of children then cripple them so they can go and beg even when contraceptives are freely available.
It's a country where many despotic states are in constant upheaval to the degree that no stability can ever be achieved there - and that's why I say it's a money sponge with no hope no matter how many do-gooders bang their charity gongs at it.

You talk of perceptions - that's life. We are animals that base every moment on perceptions, wrong or right - that's how we work but equally it's all we have. And I have looked at things objectively, my conclusions are made from those same perceptions and not from prejudice or whim or even simple experiences but from everything my senses tell me.

Your comment: 'So which country are you using as your basis of comparison? Where is this paragon of nationhood?' tells me you are using the same argument that everyone else uses. To be honest I am not judging it on any other country or any other system, I just feel that some things should be and others shouldn't. In this instance, you are telling me that you thing this country has got it right. I disagree, it is awash with sleaze, lies, incompetence, indifference, selfishness, well I could go on for pages, I do not base this on any model - it's just based on what I believe should be.
For instance - the Labour party have just been accused of SELLING titles. Now to me that is completely wrong and illegal. When every evening I hear a story like this I have to conclude that this government is appalling. That is a conscious decision made by examining a set of facts, not just a knee jerk reaction to a news item.

Or then again, I may just be playing Devils Advocate.......

Accounting Troll | March 17, 2006 at 07:45 PM

I dunno, the BNP are pretty moderate if you stand them next to President Bush

silvertongedevil | March 17, 2006 at 07:48 PM

Yeah but don't you think the BNP should be allowed to exist?

How can we have middle ground when there is no extreme?

Accounting Troll | March 17, 2006 at 07:55 PM

And don't get me started on Africa.

Most African leaders publicly blame the woes of their people on the legacy of European colonialism in order to avoid questions concerning their corruption.

For instance, Nigeria's oil revenues and other mineral reserves should have made it as prosperous as Western Europe. However, all the money has been filtered off by corrupt officials. Many Nigerians don't want the West to keep on sending out more money because it never gets through to the people who need it; they want us to send out technical expertise to help them make a going concern of their country.

And what abou the living hell that is Zimbabwe? Mgabe and his cronies are so corrupt and ruthless that they are deliberatly starving people to death in regions that sopport the min opposition party. There's a country that would benefit from a spot of regime change.

And how is the West responsible for what has happened to Zaire, or whatever it is calling itself this week. Not only is there a massive civil war, but every one of its neighbours has launched an invasion to gain control of some of its mineral wealth.

Edit: and I've just remembered Rwanda. I suppose it's the fault of the West that the Tutsis and Hutus can't stand each other and regularly commit genocide against each other?

silvertongedevil | March 17, 2006 at 07:57 PM

But this is why you can't cure the damn problems there - it's fairly obvious that - oh bollocks to it, this is far too serious for me. I'm off down the pub.

FullAuto | March 17, 2006 at 08:22 PM

So without any yardstick, how can you know what's in wehat state? You need something to measure against, no matter what it is you're looking at, or you have no sense of perspective. According to your rationale, I have just as much legitimacy as you in saying "This country is totally perfect." Because it's just something I feel should be.

This country isn't perfect, but when assessing a situation, negativity gets you nowhere. You look at the pros AND the cons, the strengths and the weaknesses.

And a funny thing is, every democratic country claims it is a 'true' democracy, because each and every democratic system has it's pros and cons. Christ, even countries which use the same system (the US and UK, for instance) have massive rows over who is the 'more' democratic. There's no such thing as 'true' democracy, just various flavours, each of which various people regard as 'true'.

As for Africa, we shouldn't be giving aid there, because it doesn't reach the people who need it. Perhaps the responsibility did once reside with the British Empire for that continent (or at least most of it), but that time has long passed. They've got control of their own countries now.

As for the UK 'getting it right'...I believe we've got more right than we have wrong, but that's about it. If we want rid of corruption in government, then we need to restrict power to those who don't want it. So far we have dodged establishing a tyranny of the majority, and I hope we go on that way.

Accounting Troll | March 20, 2006 at 07:03 PM

Continuing my long list of things I hate; petulant football managers such as Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho.

Everybody who follows the English Premiership knows that Chelsea are going to win the title by a massive margin. They suffered a rare defeat over the weekend, and how do you think Jose Mourinho responded?

A. Graciously congratulated their opponents on their acheivement.

B. Claimed that all the referees are conspiring against his team and accused his opponents of cheating.

FullAuto | March 20, 2006 at 07:06 PM

That's what we like to see. Sportsmanship.

Accounting Troll | March 20, 2006 at 07:27 PM

I mean, what happened to the notion that how you play is more important than whether you win or lose?

Chelsea's defeat was away from home, so I'm surprised they didn't complain about the state of the pitch as well.

Ivory | March 20, 2006 at 08:23 PM

i HATE peopel who say 'its about how you play not wether you win or loose' ...then get REALLY stroppy with you if you beat them. OR more to the point, are happy for you to be winning as long as OVERALL they come out on top and if looks like your winnign too many small games, they are vicious!

Lady_Castlemaine | March 22, 2006 at 01:03 PM

FullAuto: That's what we like to see. Sportsmanship.

Win or lose you can't get much better than a group of thigh slappingly, extremely 'fit' bunch of men running about with an oval ball under their arm!! That's what I call 'sporting'

Accounting Troll | March 22, 2006 at 06:52 PM

You missed off players swapping shirts at full time

What really annoys me is the way a football player will just roll over and die if an opponent gets within ten yards of him. Nobody's fooled these days...

Ivory | March 22, 2006 at 08:55 PM

...or worse when they ARE fooled and its obviously a fake! grrrr

peopl who say 'i listened to what you said and took it on bord BUT...' and then say teh EXACT opposite of what you did!

silvertongedevil | March 23, 2006 at 12:01 PM

Football, or as it should be called - soccer.

FullAuto | March 23, 2006 at 12:29 PM

People who sell DVDs on eBay and think it's cunning to leave the region out of the listing.

Ho. Ho. Ho.

Accounting Troll | March 23, 2006 at 01:41 PM

Owch. I hope you left some seriously negative feedback.

If it's any help, a freeware media player called VLC Media Player can handle North American DVDs on my European DVD drive without any problems.

I'm somewhat suspicious and annoyed abou the fact that when I give Windows Media Player the same task, it tells me that it will hav to change the coding of my DVD drive, and if I do it more than five times, the change becomes permanant.

I hate the whole regional DVD encoding thing. The only logic beind it that I can see is to protect retailers who charge £15 for a DVD that cost 5p to manufacture from cheap foreign imports. It certainaly does not benefit consumers

FullAuto | March 23, 2006 at 01:44 PM

I don't mind, my DVD player is multiregion and I got the DVD very cheap, but Yank picture quality is fucking shit.

Pete | March 23, 2006 at 01:52 PM

I got really confused there for minute as I'd mis-read "region" as "religion". Perhaps I should go back to bed

FullAuto | March 23, 2006 at 03:12 PM

I don't think a DVD player would survive a baptism. Or a circumcision, for that matter.

Ivory | March 23, 2006 at 05:03 PM

i dont know it would make an interesting drunken evening! ...not to self baptise a dvd! EVERY time i read the topic title i read it as PETE, isnt that odd!

silvertongedevil | March 23, 2006 at 08:20 PM

Any product by Microsoft.

Ivory | March 27, 2006 at 05:44 PM

when i suddenly reaslise im copying one of the kids behaviours from my class (for example rocking! lol)

Ivory | March 28, 2006 at 06:03 PM

sorry to double post but!- i HATE people who are SO selfish they only care abtou themselves and the inconvinence casued to THEM in a situation! those kind of people who would say 'well you shouldnt have got run over you were ment to be commign round to baby sit now I cant go out!' those peopel grrrrrrrrrr

Lady_Castlemaine | March 30, 2006 at 11:55 AM

People you ask for directions, they then spend 30 minutes explaining the route you need to take which you carefully write down, follow and find out that they were the village idiot or even worse- aren't from around here!!! So you end up asking again and the next one says, OOhh you need to go back the way you came !!!!???

Ivory | March 30, 2006 at 07:15 PM

i hate inconsiderable peopel who ruin a perfectly good fantasy (what ever it may be) by explainning the true reality of it to you!!!! why would you do that to me!!!!!

Accounting Troll | March 31, 2006 at 05:48 PM

Ah the simple joys of nitpicking.

Another thing I hate is Graham Norton. Why the hell do the BBC think we want to see more of this individual? He tries to mask his lack of talent with in-your-face campiness that sets the gay rights movement back about 40 years.

silvertongedevil | April 1, 2006 at 08:52 PM

I thought you had to be homosexual to work in television.

Accounting Troll | April 1, 2006 at 09:26 PM

I'm pretty sure they have some closet hetrosexuals

Oh, and the DVD of the Chronicles of Narnia has made the list - I caught three seperate advertisements in one commercial break. I hate it when you get multiple advertisements of the same product in a single commercial break.

Ivory | April 3, 2006 at 04:40 PM

i do too! why would you do that, all you do is piss peopel off not encourage them to buy it!....
hav9ing said that tho i ordered it on pre release so shoudl get it tommarrow mornign in the post lol

Accounting Troll | April 14, 2006 at 06:49 PM

Next on my list is the morons who think that race relations can be improved by prosecuting a shopkeeper who displays some golliwogs in his shop window. As well as the cretinous police officers who think this should gain priority over actual crimes.

Children don't see anything racist about golliwogs until adults start telling them what to think, and nobody decides to support the BNP because they played with one during their childhood or they were lucky enough to read the Noddy books before the censors steamed in.

The really stupid thing is that cases like this are contributing to the growth in support of the BNP.

And while I'm ranting, I have another revelation:

The sinking of the Belgrano in the Falklands War was justified. The commanding officer of the Belgrano survived, and he later said that it was regrouping for a planned attack on the British fleet the next day, and it was not returning to Argentina. The BBC downplayed this detail because it got in the way of their efforts to discredit Margaret Thatcher.

Ivory | April 17, 2006 at 11:08 AM

im glad you got that off your chest troll

(in case your wondering...ive been, and am now going off again on holiday so i shant b in for a while! - not that youv probably noticed, i just liek to think you may! lol cheers guys x )

Accounting Troll | May 18, 2006 at 08:30 PM

The fact that they made a film out of the Da Vinci Code, which I regard as the most badly written and badly thought out book in history. The author is even more overrated than Arthur C Clarke

FullAuto | May 18, 2006 at 09:20 PM

True. It was a truly fucking shite book.

Ivory | May 23, 2006 at 06:11 PM

glad i didnt waste any of my life on that then! im more a fansaty fiction type anyhow if im gonna bother to read i want escape, not confirmation the the world is shite!

Accounting Troll | May 24, 2006 at 06:38 PM

But what happens when the world the fantasy writer portrays is just as bad as this one?

I'm more partial to history books; some people like a good horror novel, but I find that very few authors can come up with something that is as horrific as real human history.

Besides, fantasy writers have conspired to portray trolls in a negative way. We are the shambling brutes who can't do any real harm because we are always outwitted by some stupid hero in a loincloth who in reality would die of hypothermia long before reaching the troll bridge (damm tourists). Elves on the other hand ALWAYS get a good writeup. Those bastards go round kidnapping babies and musicians, and their idea of a good laugh is to trick some lone traveller into walking off a cliff

Ivory | June 6, 2006 at 06:01 PM

mmmmmmmmheros in loin cloths! ..... well ok maybe without the loin cloth! (good god i dnt mean that how it sounds! lol) if the writer writes a world without at least three or more of the below...
dragons/witches/fiaries/castles/adventures/ridding horses/camping in woodlands/secreat passages/damsels in distress/heroes/heroines/talepathy to animals/fying/.....well you get my drift! then i probably wouldnt read it! its ok if it involves killing, battles, good verses evil, as long as it has three or more of the above see? - and if it fails at that ...then i dotn read it

the only thing we learn from history, is that we do not learn from history - my history teacher told me this first class of GCSE years (tho i think some one much more famous and clever must of said it first!) suprising our class did so well at history after that "big up" for it really! but there you go.

FullAuto | June 15, 2006 at 07:43 AM

England flags with 'England' on them. Overdoesd on fucking Budweiser and each other's testosterone, did you? Forget the what the flag of your own country looks like, and need a reminder?

Oh, and DVD cases. I have yet to see one that manages the job without eventually breaking, or breakign the DVD. Wank. Utter wank.

silvertongedevil | June 15, 2006 at 09:56 AM

I came across this in a pub recently, it's from memory so it may be a little different.

IMPORTANT NOTICE FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORT

The law has recently been changed on certain road traffic violations concerning the offences below.
No longer will these offences simply carry three points and a fine, drivers convicted of these offences will be required to display a fixed notice on their vehicle.
The offences include:
Speeding through built up areas,
Pulling out from junctions without warning,
Poor parking,
Using a mobile phone whilst driving,
None use of indicators at junctions and round-abouts,
Driving without due care and attention,
Driving in a manner likely to cause an accident.

It has become obvious to the department that these drivers are lacking in driver skills and need to be seen by other drivers as a hazard and therefore all drivers in this category will be required to carry the new fixed notice on their vehicles. The notice is a white flag with a red cross on it. Other drivers should take note when they see this banner as the driver of such a vehicle may be a danger to others.

Ivory | June 15, 2006 at 05:13 PM

i ahe people who are rude to you just becasue the team may score a goal in the next 2 hours. they cant talk to you (even if its important) they cant acknowledge your exsistance!! its madness. if they actually were to score it would be shown on reply 6 million times anyway!!!

Accounting Troll | June 15, 2006 at 08:45 PM

Don't forget how angry or depressed they're going to get when the all-conquering unbeatable invincibles that are England go out of the World Cup at the hands of Ecuador.

FullAuto | June 16, 2006 at 11:49 AM

Going on IMDb, and reading a thread, which consists solely of two incredibly stupid people swapping inane comments and pur spelin about a film they are not mentally qualified to understand.

It's hideous. To think that these people are allowed to reproduce...

Ivory | June 21, 2006 at 04:54 PM

people should definatly have to hold a certificate before they are allowed to have kids! some of the stuff that goes on is MENTAL!

i hate, poeple talking down to me simply becasue they are older than me. esp when i know more abotu something than them! GRRRRRR it pisses me off.

FullAuto | June 21, 2006 at 06:06 PM

I love that. I've met old people that are as thick as shit (and no, it wasn't just the Alzheimers), but htey still think of age as some sort of qualification.

I always wonder what it is that turns perfectly normal people into their parents. It's incredibly disturbing. At what point do they become so delusional that they forget that their parents disapproved of their music, clothes, general habits and anything else in mind, and go on to disapprove of their children in exactly the same fashion?

Can't they be original?

Accounting Troll | June 21, 2006 at 08:02 PM

FA, don't worry, the same thing will happen to you one day. You too will be telling your daughter to make sure she is in by 8pm, even when she is married and in her thirties

Ivory, that statement about people being too stupid to reproduce in the conventional manner is very disturbing...

Ivory | June 23, 2006 at 08:52 PM

well, its just not cricket!
*rolls eyes*
'your young, you cant possibly know ANYTHING!' grrr
im sure when you get old young people treat you just the same...but as im young i cant see that point of view as im reckless and should be wering a hoody! lol

FullAuto | June 23, 2006 at 10:09 PM

Recent conversation with my family.

Them: "Aren't you going to cut the garden?"

Me: "No."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't give a fuck about the garden, and I have better things to do."

"Well, what if the neighbours talk? What if they get the council?"

"Let them talk. If their lives are so empty that they need to talk about someone's garden and judge them for it, that's their problem. And fuck the council, too. They send me a letter, which I ignore, summoning me to a hearing, which I don't go to."

"They can get the police."

"Yeah, the bobbies have nothing better to do than arrest people who don't trim their hedge. I'm not cutting the garden."

"...Don't you want to cut the garden?"

I mean, sometimes I think I've gone to Hell without anyone telling me about it!

Accounting Troll | June 24, 2006 at 07:32 PM

When faced with the "what will the neighbours think if they see the garden looking like that" argument, I usually counter with "If they care that much, they can cut my lawn".

My latest rant is that the police probably would arrest you for not bothering about your garden. These days, the police find stuff like that easier to deal with than catching proper criminals.

Ivory | June 26, 2006 at 07:06 PM

prob is they make it good and easy on themselves. they send you a letter abtou your garden which you ignor. they send you a summons letter, which you ignor- now that they can pick you up on with out too many people frowning at them *rolls eyes* it still comes back to the garden.

personally, i like keeping the garden nice, in a 'im definatly not a grannie' kind of a way! lol

TopSource: http://www.thelastoutpost.co.uk/forums/index.php?gettopic=275